Cosplay interview with Katybear

Is it just an impression or does cosplaying is getting more and more professional and competitive ?
This type of performance art  is now more and more in the direction of having a fan-base itself (fan-art portrait are given to cosplayer, they are featured on many media platform, giving interview on TV, etc ...) 

Does this mean cosplayers are in the process of becoming star themselves ? 


In short who are these individuals behind the mask, who are those passionate people spending their free time to create outfit, and makes the visitors smiling with glee during conventions.


To answer this questions, I had the honor of interviewing Kate McCullough (aka Katybear) :

  1. Can you give a short bio of yourself ?

  2. My name is Kate (or Katy) McCullough. I am from Albuquerque, New Mexico but I recently moved to Phoenix, Arizona. I make all my own cosplays. I am a big video game and anime nut, but I am also starting to get into comics as well. I also enjoy reading, snowboarding, and horseback riding.


  3. What got you into the cosplay world ?

  4. I am born on Halloween and have always loved dressing up. My husband actually told me about cosplay ( I had no idea it even existed) and I was on it in no time. Dressing up as my favorite character, YES!


  5. What are the required qualities of a cosplayer nowadays ?

  6. I would say knowing how to sew is a big plus. If you buy all you stuff you can't really take all the credit, you have to say it was the seamstress's skill as well. I am much more fulfilled when I can make my own. I started out not knowing how to sew at all and I just bought a sewing machine one day and read the manual. I am learning how to make armor as well. You also need to be friendly, if you never respond to anyone they aren't going to like you very much. It's also important to be friendly to other cosplayers, bad rep travels fast.




  7. What are your visions of the cosplay world for the next years ?

  8. I think it's going to get much bigger. When I started there were barely any well known cosplayers and just in the two years I've been doing this it's blown up.

  9. What do you wish the cosplay world would be in the future ?

  10. I think it would be awesome if they became celebrities and video game companies, anime companies, and comic artists started hiring them. Maybe even movies. How epic would that be?!
And I guess, it would make a lot of sense for the videogame and comics industry during convention to support the enthusiastic cosplayer, since they are putting so much resources, energy and work in serving their passion and they are also attracting a lot of visitors.

In some aspect, similarly to people involved in opensource, or non-profit organisation, or independant (indie) company, cosplay is restoring my faith in humanity because it's all about having fun and living their passion ; breaking the usual materialistic way of thinking, that says : "to do work, you absolutely need to get paid".



Thanks Kate McCullough for that nice interview!


Here are links where readers will find more about Katybear :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails