Tsu interview : Giuseppe Marinello

 

Q1: Can you give a brief biography? 

 I live and work in Italy, I was born in a small southern town. I drew as a child but my training course was a bit 'slow and tortuous. Mostly because coming from a small urban center did not have people with to appreciate the drawing. Only later, around 27 years old, I decided to attend a school to learn the techniques of film and cartoon storyboard.  

Then I worked many years in the field of video games as a 2D pixel artist and advertising. Meanwhile, I was also the assistant in a study that dealt with comics and this was useful because it taught me to never abandon the classical technique (pencil and ink) to draw. I have done many commercials and storyboards for video games, but the problem is that the storyboard is a just a "task" so no one will ever know that you drew those things. People find about it only when you have them on your own design, where is your signature.  


Q2: What convinced you to join tsu.co? 

 I joined (tsu.co) because I was looking for something different from the usual social media. A place to put my work and admire the work of artists from around the world, with no particular barriers. TSU, from this point of view, is ... perfect!  

Q3: What got you into art? 

 This is the most difficult question: I think it all starts from a desire to emulate. As a child, I admired the designs of Romano Scarpa of Mickey Mouse or John Romita Spider Man. Then you think ... "I want to draw too!". But then life is much more complicated and paths can be quite tortuous.  

Growing up, then I change the references. So then was born the love for the classics like Alex Raymond or Stan Drake with the synthesis of Alex Toth and charm for women designed by Leone Frollo. It means that everything is mixed, you look up to so many influences. Today my design is the sum of many things that I have looked and I have assimilated.  


Q4: What are the qualities required of an artist?  

First of all, I think that today it is very easy to be an "artist". Anyone can open a page on a social network and defined himself as such. So the first quality you need is humility. The design is a challenge every day against their limits.  

I've seen guys with great talent completely lost and unseen and people with no particular talent being perceived or sometime becoming great artists. Especially in the comic industry, talent serves relatively : if your starting skill is good, you're lucky but must be fed with the technique and continuous study. So in a nutshell the qualities are : humility, patience, tenacity, desire to improve without ever thinking of having arrived. 
  

 Q5: What are your visions for the future of art?  

Today the art, with the web, is available to everyone. Every day I can discover new talent. I recently fell in love with a Russian painter contemporary Serge Marshennikov.  
Does the wonder of touching the oil paintings on canvas be more Realistic. Without the web, possibly I would not have known this painter : then my hope is that it is easier to educate the new generations to the art, to ensure that its value is not lost and will always remain a heritage to protect. All art! From drawing, sculpture, painting, music ... without distinction!

In my specific future, however, we will be publishing on the number 3 of "Black Death" comic published in Italy by Edizioni Inkiostro

I'm running out of inking tables and can not wait to see it printed. 
Thanks for the questions and ... greetings from Italy!



Thanks for the interview Giuseppe, please excuse in advance if there are some error in the translation (my Italian is a bit "rusty" to say the least).

you can join his network at http://www.tsu.co/marin_x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails