Interview with Peileppe

On the last post I was featuring Katybear and was interested to know about her motivation to do cosplay and I mentioned that cosplayer usually receive no income but starts to get attention from other artists in the form of Fan-art.

Today I have the privilege to interview Phillip Koops (aka Peileppe) a cartoonist that made a fan-art for Katybear





Can you give a short bio ?

Okay, I'm a Freelance designer, comic artist, developer and father of two kids
I studied Finance and Accountancy and moved from France to Ireland, and then Czech Republic where I live now.
After 8 years in the call-centre environment (I worked as tech support for Apple, and then presale support for Hewlett-Packard) I started freelancing and doing my own comics (called call-centre Grinder).

Did you study in any art school?
I’m mostly a self-taught person. I learned through trial and errors.
But I learned oil painting, and how to use charcoal and graphite in extra school activities during my teenage years.

Can you tell us someting about your typical working method,  the tools of your trade?
I use open-source software : Gimp mostly, Krita, and myPaint for digital work
But the fan-art was done with Manga Studio - I did a series of portraits.
Otherwise I draw by hand and then scan the result - and finish the work with my wacom bamboo.

What lead you to draw fan-art ?
I guess fan-art is a way to pay hommage to somebody you admire, or are inspired with. In the case of Katybear, I found her photo quite interesting because of the angle and her posture.


Do you ask permission to draw a cosplayer ?
Well, usually this is how it happens, I start drawing from a photo as practice and then if the result is somehow satisfying instead of keeping the drawing for me, I just post it on facebook - the cosplayer is notified and so far I never had any objection as to remove the picture - I like it because, we both gain from this activity, the cosplayer is paying hommage to a character they like (cammy for example) I create something a bit different from the original picture and pay an hommage to the cosplayer - it's like a random act of kindness.

Is there any financial aspect to this activity ?
No, the implicit understanding is that the drawing is just a fan-art.
It's like a more elaborate way to say "I like what you do, keep doing it"
The only exchange in doing this, is a good feeling, some sort of good karma.

Do you feel the cosplaying world is expanding beyond the structure of just a hobby ?
I don't know,  really because my main focus is just drawing, but I feel that doing what we like in life, like making costumes, drawing, painting, writing, singing or sculpting is something that is more meaningful and bring more joy to the individuals.


What are you working on these days?
Lately I returned to developing applications as I was learning Python.
But on a larger scale I'm at this particular time (self-employed for 4 years) where I don't really see any increase in my activities.
I've tried comic-books, webdesign, portraits, selling t-shirt, nothing really took off.
I told myself, when I quit my previous job in 2010 - that in 2015 if I hadn't been successful, I'd reconsider returning to a 'classic' job.
It was nice to work from home, but I guess I went in too many directions... and lack focus.


Do you have any advices you wished people would have given to you when you started ?
 If I could give myself a piece of advices that would be not to burn bridges, and keep a positive attitude, to focus only on one thing at a time (for at least 6 months, and to document the progression...)
Very important also to build a network of supporters and friends.
Not to take things too seriously, and to enjoy every minute of being my own boss because it's a liberating experience.
I tend to go by this philosophy now : "If you are not having fun - then what's the point?"

Where can we find you?
www.peileppe.com is my main website
My port-folio : http://peileppe.deviantart.com/
My blog : http://blog.peileppe.com/
My t-shirt shop : http://www.zazzle.com/peileppe
My comic-books shop : http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/peileppeproduction

Thanks for that interview Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails